Empowerment Through Self Awareness
Tag Archives: Addiction
February 16, 2012Posted by on
The case can be made that events in childhood affect Adult outcomes.
The ACE Study is an ongoing collaboration between the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Kaiser Permanente. Led by Co-principal Investigators Robert F. Anda, MD, MS, and Vincent J. Felitti, MD, the ACE Study is perhaps the largest scientific research study of its kind, analyzing the relationship between multiple categories of childhood trauma (ACEs), and health and behavioral outcomes later in life.
What’s an ACE?
Growing up experiencing any of the following conditions in the household prior to age 18:
1. Recurrent physical abuse
2. Recurrent emotional abuse
3. Contact sexual abuse
4. An alcohol and/or drug abuser in the household
5. An incarcerated household member
6. Someone who is chronically depressed, mentally ill, institutionalized, or suicidal
7. Mother is treated violently
8. One or no parents
9. Emotional or physical neglect
What’s your ACE score?
Find out more about your score, and the effect of these conditions on future outcomes including smoking, addiction, general health and more. Check out the web site at http://www.acestudy.org.